Monday, August 4, 2008

Princess Diaries syndrome

I have always secretly loved Disney's Princess Diaries, and I could not put my finger on why. Could it have been me reflecting on my inner child? Or perhaps just the sweetness of the story? The basic premise of the story is about a young teen who finds out that she is the heir to a throne in Genovia, thereby making her a princess. She has lived her life quite contentedly behind the scenes, so much so that she is often sat on. But there is something inside her that has always had her longing for more. She gets that chance and freaks out. She goes on a journey to discover what it means to be a princess, and then has to make a decision whether or not to accept it as her role. It is a tough decision, as she has been so used to a lifestyle quite opposite from royalty. In the end, she chooses to push through her fear of the unknown and take her place as princess.

Last night as I was praying, God vividly brought this story to mind. He spoke to my heart about who I am and who He is calling me to be. My story is not unlike this young teen who only believed that she could be one type of person, but was destined for greater. I have lived my life as an ordinary girl, blending in, doing what I could to make the best out of what I have. And yet, God has called me His Princess. I have a choice before me, to believe and enter into His identity or to sit back and continue to live in the comfort of what I know. I know that living as God's princess is where I am meant to live, and I am learning to believe. And now I understand why I love that movie so much...

1 comment:

Estevan said...

Sieno loves that movie too, and secretly...so do i...