Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Deo fidelis

Deo fidelis.

The other day I was driving after dropping off the rent check, and I noticed this phrase written on one of our local government buildings. At first glance, I assumed that this phrase would be interpreted as "Faithful God". It was an encouraging word to me, as it was a sweet reminder of God's faithfulness. That to me can never be questioned.

But I went online to see what it meant and was surprised to find that its English interpretation actually means "Faithful to God". What a beautiful and powerful statement to be written on a governmental building.

I keep thinking about that phrase since the day I casually passed it.
Faithful to God.
It is what we are called to be.
No matter what.
It doesn't matter what the circumstances look like,
whether we are "getting our way",
whether we have been disappointed or discouraged.
We are called to be faithful.
We have a choice.
God will never stop being faithful to us.
Where do we stand?

Faithfulness and being a woman of faith is something God has spoken over my life.
I can't say that I've always lived up to that word.
But I want to.
I pray that I can be like Abraham in Romans 4.

“in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls into being that which does not exist. In hope against hope he believed, so that he might become a father of many nations according to that which had been spoken, "SO SHALL YOUR DESCENDANTS BE." Without becoming weak in faith he contemplated his own body, now as good as dead since he was about a hundred years old, and the deadness of Sarah's womb; yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.”

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

You are an inspiration to me daily with your walk with God. Love having you in my life. And love being on this journey with you!