Monday, February 26, 2007

Father

This Sunday, a visiting pastor told us about how he has felt a burden for years, that he feels the need to tackle the big issues on his own. I sat listening, and completely understanding where he was coming from. He went on to say that God showed him that when he was eight, his grandpa died and his dad told him to go out and play after breaking the news. He felt all alone to handle his grief, and began that pattern for the rest of his life, not knowing he had Someone to help carry his burden. My story is similar, except that my burden was my parents' divorce and all that followed. My dad was devastated, and did not know how to comfort me through that time. My mom moved to another state within a year of leaving my dad. I had made the decision that I needed to handle it all on my own. And I have done just that since. Funny thing is that what the pastor and myself did not know was that God has always been there, ready to help carry our loads. Our Father, who never leaves us or forsakes us, is here, and we just have to come to Him. He is not like our earthly fathers, who are not perfect no matter how hard they try. He knows our heartaches, and our dreams. And He waits for us to come and ask for His help. When we do, it is amazing at what He does..."more than we ask or imagine".

No comments: