Sunday, October 10, 2010

sound like someone you know?

This morning as I was getting ready to sing with the worship team, I felt lead to read Psalm 78. A lot of people consider the Old Testament a great book for history, and to see God's heart for His people...often not seeing the value it has for our lives today. If you don't know your history, it's bound to repeat itself right? As I was reading this passage, I knew God was speaking to an attitude in my heart:

"And in their heart they put God to the test
By asking food according to their desire.
Then they spoke against God;
They said, "Can God prepare a table in the wilderness?
"Behold, He struck the rock so that waters gushed out,
And streams were overflowing;
Can He give bread also?
Will He provide meat for His people?"
Therefore the LORD heard and was full of wrath;
And a fire was kindled against Jacob
And anger also mounted against Israel,
Because they did not believe in God
And did not trust in His salvation.
Yet He commanded the clouds above
And opened the doors of heaven;
He rained down manna upon them to eat
And gave them food from heaven." Psalm 78:18-24

You ask how this is relevant today? We don't do this...or do we? Here is what we say instead:

"Can God bring my husband in these circumstances? Behold, He gathered enough money to pay for my car repairs, with enough left over to bless me; Can He really find an amazing man for me? Will He provide the deepest desire of my heart?"

Insert whatever God has done for you, and whatever you question or doubt in the quotes above. I think we do this far too often. It makes God angry because He knows that He has ALL we need, ask for or imagine and beyond, and yet we do not trust Him. If you keep reading, it says that despite our unfaithfulness, He still provides. Over and over the people of Israel, much like ourselves, gave in to fear and doubt, and despite God's frustration, He knew we were weak in our flesh, and faithfully forgives us...pursuing us until we return to the right heart. God is calling me to return to faith in Him. To ask for forgiveness for my unfaithful heart. To trust that despite the circumstances, God will provide.

No comments: