Tuesday, February 2, 2010

"friends"

This will only make sense to those who use facebook but do you notice when you lose "friends"? I do. I have a weird memory that causes me to notice things that are different, like the number of friends I have. Today I lost 2. Two people are no longer my "friend" on facebook. Honestly, I am not sure who they are, and may not even be able to tell you by looking through my 300+ friends...but at the same time, I feel a little sad when that happens. It's like, "hey, why aren't we friends anymore?" Did I do something wrong? Did you quit facebook? Okay, I don't dwell on it really but it is a fleeting thought, especially when two in one day fall off my list. Hmmm...makes you think. Our world is SO much different than it used to be.

I've talked about this before, but I wonder how I feel this tiny pain at this "loss" and how other people feel. How much they put into this social network, and how "social" it really is. Don't get me wrong, I love facebook. I can check in on any friend's life at any time, and leave fun notes or pictures or videos...or invite everyone to the NeedToBreathe concert and keep them posted very easily. But we have to be careful not to let it become our social thing. Know what I mean? Anyway, I will go to bed wondering who is gone from that little world, but grateful to know the real relationships I have to wake up to. Good night Internet world. :)

2 comments:

Excellent Parent said...

sometimes I will go thru and de friend people that I never talk to, like people that I blocked there status updates and didnt even remember I had them. Maybe someone de friended and you two never talked. Personally, you are one of my favorite FB firend, I will never de friend you!!

Unknown said...

Haha, yeah, I was actually thinking I need to de-friend some people I never interact with...or added just because I recognize them. But part of me does not want to because then I will possibly have less friends than Tim...we have a running joke...

I am not really really sad about losing the friends, it is more of a funny observation, but I am so glad that you still want to be my facebook friend!!! :)