Tuesday, April 27, 2010

my NEEDTOBREATHE inspired trip part 3

After staying up so late on Saturday night, we found it difficult to get up early on Sunday morning...which is probably my one regret. I wish we would have found a church to attend while there, but unfortunately we did not. :( Steph and I got up in time to get ready and find somewhere to eat for lunch. Since we were staying in the heart of downtown, we were within walking distance of lots of places to shop at and eat. We, of course, being tourists acted the part and began a massive photo shoot of the town as we went about! I loved how Charleston has lampposts lining its streets and how there is a church on every corner. I also loved that many of the stores were closed because it was "God's day". It is on my heart to see more places like that. We had no idea where to eat, but decided to go to the closest, most decent place we could find. That place ended up being Jim and Nick's...the home of the best mac n' cheese and cornbread I have ever tasted! I couldn't finish my plate of food, which made my taste buds very sad...haha. (I am thinking that someone needs to open a southern food restaurant here.) It is safe to say we pretty much rolled out of that place with very happy tummies and continued to walk around downtown. We were on the hunt for gifts for a few people, and wanted to see the sights.

We came across a convenience store, where I knew I needed to pick up a bag of cheetos to add to the wet nap and note for Joe. (long story short- Joe's fave midnight snack is cheetos, but he said that he doesn't like to eat them late at night in his bunk because of the orange-y finger issue...welllll, I thought if he had a wet nap to go with it, it would be the PERFECT midnight snack!) I also bought a bottle of Cheerwine (their site is hilarious!) as a good friend Kyle had told me so much about it. Cheerwine is yummy. :) Steph and I continued on our journey through Chuck Town, and found ourselves across the street from a place called Cupcake. Yes, it was a store completely dedicated to cupcakes! And yes, we went inside and had one. Each. Hee hee...as we left even more happy than we started, we walked by the place where Deah and Ashleigh were eating their lunch! And as we were talking, we heard this thunderous ROOOOAAARRRRR...it was the Blue Angels!!! I had not seen them since I was much younger and my dad used to take me to the air shows. Deah was a little terrified, but came out to see them with us. They went back in to finish their lunch, and Steph and I spent the next 30 minutes looking for them and trying to get some good pictures! During this time, we had a woman who turned out to be an attorney join us and compliment me on my dress. I found it strange that she was an attorney....she just seemed too nice! Hah!

We kept walking until we knew we were close enough to the Piggly Wiggly that we saw on our way into town. I had to go! We knew we needed sunscreen and I wanted to buy more Cheerwine to take home with me, so we did a little shopping. Unfortunately, we didn't think about the long walk we had...so we sucked it up and each carried a bag. We got back to the hotel to find Deah and Ashleigh napping, so we detoured to Toast, the restaurant at our hotel. We figured we might as well grab dinner before the show. I ordered a fried green tomato BLT and a half and half sweet tea. Yummers! Then we decided that Steph needed to order the turtle cheesecake because A) our waiter practically drooled when he described it and B) she had been saying cheesecake every time she meant to say cheesesteak. We did not regret this decision one bit. I think it may have been the best I have ever had. We made friends with a couple from New York who told me I had a "perfect" southern accent...while I did not wholly agree, I had picked up some of the accent thanks to so much time with Deah. Haha. Deah says I did not have a southern accent. She's probably right. But it was funny nevertheless.

It was time to finish up and get ready for the last (sigh) concert of this trip. I wore my adorable new dress with my boots, and was ready to go. When we headed to the venue, Deah spotted David on the phone, and took a picture from across the street...hee hee. We grabbed Ashleigh some "dinner"- a cookie and green tea, and walked back to the venue to get in line. This time, Steph brought baby Shrek with her so that she could take a picture with NEEDTOBREATHE with him. The bouncers have to check our bags and when they got to hers, they said, no joke, "I'm not even gonna ask..." I laughed so hard! Since we were doing a meet and greet that night, we did not have high hopes for a good spot but in hopes of a repeat performance at the bar, we strategically planted ourselves there. Ashleigh held our spot. Deah and I went to find and meet Valoree, another Breather we know. We joked with her friends about jumping in front of them, because she was pretty close to the front. We met a few other people as well. Eventually we made our rounds back to the bar for the show to start. It wasn't long before it was time to go to the meet and greet. There were less people at this one, but somehow it amounted to a much shorter one. This was sad, and made me glad I did the first one!

This time our group had me, Deah, Julie, Steph, Kasey, Laura, Julie's brother, and another girl. We were the second group, which was our second mistake...I think we got the shorter time slot! Patrick was trying to hurry us along...I ended up only talking to Joe this time! He smiled as we walked up and asked us how our day was in Charleston. I asked him where they have been hiding all of this amazing food! He laughed as I told him about the mac n' cheese, cornbread, etc. of the day. We talked about CA having good food too, but different. He told us he had to get used to avocados, as they reminded him of snot. (LOL) I then gave him the cheetos...I almost didn't, it seemed quite the cheesy thing to do (ha ha, cheesy...). I explained the scenario I explained above and told him I thought it would be funny. He looked at them, all labeled with a "Perfect Midnight Snack" label and all, then looked at me and said, "That's really thoughtful..." Honestly, I hope he didn't think it was weird. He tossed them to Jenna to hold, and that was embarrassing...I explained that I didn't put my number on it or anything...and Jenna said "wouldn't be the first time..." We lined up for pictures, and when it was Steph's turn, she prefaces the baby Shrek appearance by saying, "Don't laugh, it's for my boyfriend!" I am taking the picture, saying "don't worry, I am laughing for you!" Seth looks absolutely horrified, and Bear and Joe seemed to have a good sense of humor about it. This picture is probably my favorite from the trip in terms of hilarity! Bo was not in the picture because he had to run off and go play mandolin with Will Hoge.

Our meet and greet ended and we were escorted back into the venue. Deah went to hang at the sound booth with Tyler (which was great because then she gave me the scoop on the set list so I was ready to record SWEET TALKER when they surprised us with it!!!), and Steph and I joined Ashleigh. One last amazing show, and the time for the acoustic part came. Of course, they decided to switch locations...FAIL! We were pretty close though, but were very sad that we did not plan that out as well as we hoped. Instead of Bo leading "Won't Turn Back", Bear led it acoustically and sang it over the crowd. I had not actually heard Bear sing it...short of on the CD! Bo sang it the whole tour this time, and in San Fran when I had gone. I loved it, what a sweet ending to the shows for me. Again, the vocals of the whole group were smokin'!

This time, we hung out a little longer to mingle with some new friends, including Julie and Valoree. It was so fun to meet these girls! I also joined the Respirators for another picture, because this night we had six of us plus the Breather Prez...it was historic! And we represented coast to coast :) I enjoyed talking with Lindsey and Susan as they were leaving, and then Jenna for a bit more. I went up and met Matt Hires, and in true nerd fashion, forgot that Steph had already met him and tried to introduce them! Doh! Haha... It was getting late, and we were trying to figure out what we were doing, so we went outside. Deah and Ashleigh went over to talk to Bear, who was standing outside talking with someone else. Steph and I waited on the side. We then decided to go to AC's, and on the way, Deah saw David. She decided to go talk to him, and ended up accomplishing her goal of shaking the shaker. She actually got to shake both, as David had them in hand! She was overjoyed at this!

We wandered over to AC's and I ordered a drink. I was pretty tired, so when I was done, I was done. They had these nifty bike taxis called rickshaws outside the bar, and Steph and I decided it was well worth the $9 for the lift back to the hotel. Our driver was great...told us stories of how he ended up in Charleston and fell in love with it, much like us. We were thrilled not to walk and enjoyed the ride. We climbed into bed for the last night of our stay in downtown Charleston...so sad! Here ends day 3...

No comments: