Tuesday, December 20, 2011

quiet faith

Tonight I watched The Nativity Story with some friends, and we were asked what struck us most about the movie.  Of course, it being the story of Christ's birth, it shares a powerful moment wrapped in humble beginnings.  What spoke to me most was Mary's faith.  Her quiet, steadfast faith.  That immediately her response to the angel revealing the wondrous news that she would give birth to the Son of God was, "I am the Lord’s servant. May your word to me be fulfilled."  To be honest, I think I'd freak out.  If not in that moment, perhaps when I faced the possibility of being stoned for being pregnant before I was married.  But Mary believed.  She trusted that God who brought her to this would walk her through it.

One of the most impacting verses is the one Elizabeth speaks about her- "And blessed is she who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what had been spoken to her by the Lord." (Luke 1:45)  We are blessed when we believe that there will be a fulfillment of what God speaks to us.  Another verse says a similar thing- "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." (Hebrews 11:6)  It points out two things.  That we must believe that God exists AND that He wants to bless us.  That He wants to fulfill what He has spoken to us.  So, why, oh why do I doubt?

Mary spoke to me so much because I want to be like her.  It wasn't that she was fearless.  Instead, despite her fear, she stood firm in what God told her.  She trusted Him.  That is one of the biggest things I want to move forward through in 2012.  A deeper relationship with God where my trust expands and is rooted.  Where even if my circumstances place me on shaky ground, I will stand firm.  What a powerful thing.

1 comment:

Emily grapes said...

Something I too could use more of in 2012.
I don't know why I doubt so much either, but i do. It gets frustrating sometimes... but I know He knows. Its just hard to accept that and move on in faith.
Emily at Amazing Grapes