Tuesday, September 30, 2008

ah! how time flies!

I was chatting with my roommate this morning as I was getting ready to fly out the door and start my day at work when a piece of mail caught my eye. I stopped dead in my tracks and picked up the postcard sized "High School Reunion Announcement". 10 YEARS. I remembered that I had to leave, and heard myself say to my roommate "Oh my gosh, I am getting old!" Bless her heart, she yelled back "No you're not!" I had an hour drive to where I had to be for work, so the thoughts began to unwrap themselves. Honestly, I began to assess where I am at and what I have accomplished vs. where I thought I'd be. Milestones such as these tend to tempt us to do this. I had always figured that I'd show up to my 10 year reunion married and pregnant...perhaps on baby number two. I am nowhere close to this! Ha ha. If God so desires, I may get the chance of being in a somewhat serious relationship that is headed toward marriage by the time next June rolls around. God would have to start me on that path soon if that will be so. Is this a bad thing? No...it just reflects the fact that we may have our own ideas about how our lives should go, but God, being the author of our stories, usually overrides those for better ones. I know that God has the right timing for meeting the man I am going to marry and for starting the family I have always dreamed of. And there is no shame in not being at the place where I expected to be. Disappointment is a trap that the enemy uses to lock us into shame, and prevents us from seeing the blessings that God intends for us. I do not intend to allow this to enter into my mind simply because I am crossing a milestone. I am right where God wants me to be, and ultimately, I know that that is the best place I can be. So, ten year reunion, here I come! Wow, how time flies...

No comments: