Thursday, September 9, 2010

a u t u m n.

Lately I have been having the revelation that besides Jesus, my two main passions are people and music. If you know me at all, these three things are what season my life and bring me joy. So lately, I have been discovering new music and one of the artists is Ben Rector. He wrote a song called Autumn, and while it's about falling in love, there are some lyrics in there that really capture something bigger.

"So I watched the leaves fall
All of the way to the ground
And I knew that that was what love was
To die so that it could be found"

"Winter's chill won't leave until
I let it lay me down
And you can't see the spring
Til you're like the leaves
Here on the autumn ground"

Autumn has always been my favorite season. I feel like I write about its coming every year. So, when I saw this song on the list of many Ben Rector songs I wanted to buy, it jumped out at me. And though it is a song about a boy falling in love with a girl, its lyrics touched my heart in a deep way.

Jesus' love can be described with that line, "And I knew that that was what love was, To die so that it could be found". He is love. It says so in 1 John 4:8-10 "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." Autumn, to me, acts as a reminder of that. Death so that life and love may come freely. That last part I quoted above in the song illustrates that picture so well.

So while I am excited for the colder weather, the pumpkin everything, the scarves, the changing colors...I know that in this season, as I continue to lay down my life, giving it to God, I will emerge on the other side with new life! So good!

No comments: