Tuesday, March 3, 2009

roads of change


Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back,

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
~Robert Frost


This is one of my favorite poems ever, and I feel like it has applied to my life so many times! I am at a sort of crossroads right now, where my life is full of change. And I can choose the road I have worn down with many footsteps, the one where I walk in my own strength...or I can choose the path less traveled. The one led by God. Only one path truly makes the difference. I know the answer, but often I find myself trying to look back, wondering if my way would have been the best.

It never is, and I realize that.

CHANGE.

This word alone makes me cringe, unless it is MY idea. Haha, funny thing is, it is almost never my idea. I have recently been thrown into change that has thrown my emotions into upheaval and left me wondering what the heck I am supposed to do.

So, for probably the first time REALLY in my life, I have given it all to God. I pretty much told Him that I could not handle it or figure out all of the answers and placed it all in His hands. You know what He did? He moved, He spoke to me, He led me, and He comforted me. He gave me answers when I felt helpless, and He revealed to me much of what He had done ahead of time to prepare for the change. It didn't mean I didn't cry almost everyday of the last 8 or so days. It didn't mean I felt like everything was under control. But I did have peace in knowing God was in control. I don't have to be in control for things to be under control. It is a freeing feeling.

There is much going on inside of me and around me...but I am looking to the future. I believe that God is beginning to clear the way for Him to be able to bring the promises He has spoken. And sometimes the clearing away is painful. In the end, it is all worth it. The letting go, the dying to what we cling to...it all amounts to a greater result than we could have ever got our hands onto. So, I am looking to the promises written in the stars, I am looking forward. And I am looking forward to the results.


No comments: